Want advice on where to buy lobster in Downeast Maine? I come from this part of Maine and, while I’m perhaps a bit biased, I think it has some of the best tasting lobster in Maine. The waters are cold, deep and pure. The coastal towns are authentic working lobster fishing villages where tourists are welcome but the communities aren’t based on tourism. My home town, Cutler, has no restaurants or gift shops, just a beautiful harbor filled with lobster boats and salt-of-the-earth fishermen who are usually happy to engage visitors in conversation as they unload their daily catch. While this part of Maine has less commercial enterprises than the rest of Maine, there are still a variety of places where you can buy delicious live lobster to complete your Maine experience.
Where to Buy Lobster In Downeast Maine
- If you want to buy live lobster while you’re in the Milbridge area try Dorr Lobster Co. They also mail live lobster to homes and businesses throughout the U.S.
- Greenhead Lobster is a great place to purchase live lobster in Stonington.
- If you are around Jonesport or Beals Island, Lyon’s Seafood are a live lobster wholesaler.
- If you make it all the way up to Cutler, Bar Harbor Foods sell lobster and you can buy live lobster off the dock at Little River Lobster Company.
- Local fishermen in the quaint fishing villages of Stonington, Winter Harbor, Corea, Jonesport, Beals, Lubec and Cutler might be willing to sell you a few fresh lobsters when they come in to dock and unload their catch – just be mindful that they’ll likely want to sell those lobsters for the going market price vs. the boat price.
If you do buy live lobster from Downeast Maine I would love to know about your experience!