Call me sentimental, but I love Valentine’s Day. From pastel-colored candy hearts and saccharine card exchanges to roses, romantic dinners and chocolate indulgences. I have even gone so far as to celebrate the 14th of February in Paris on several occasions. I also love researching the role lobster plays on the 14th of February and experimenting with ideal dishes to serve. Below are five excuses (as if you need them) for serving lobster on Valentine’s Day.
1. Lobster is the ultimate romantic dinner . Americans planning to pop the question think lobster is the ultimate marriage proposal meal and two in five Americans consider crustaceans the most romantic food around.
2. Lobster is an aphrodisiac. The meat of a lobster is rich in low-fat protein which naturally boosts levels of dopamine and norepinephrine which heightens sensitivity. Lobster is also full of zinc which is beneficial for boosting the male libido.
3. Cooking lobster as a couple can be a great bonding exercise. If you’re looking for an evening of quality time together that will get your pulse racing, head to the kitchen and attempt Julia Child’s lobster bisque recipe. The effort is a labor of love, requiring teamwork, patience and real fire (flambéing lobster is a truly exhilarating exercise).
4. If you aren’t up to a three plus hour cooking extravaganza, there are many other indulgent lobster dishes that are perfect for a special occasion. My other favorite lobster recipes for Valentine’s day are lobster ravioli, lobster newburg and lobster far diabolo (while this lobster pasta dish is more often associated with Christmas eve I think its spicy kick makes for a fun Valentine’s Day dinner).
5. Finally, lobster pairs perfectly with another top Valentine’s Day delicacy, champagne. The delicate bubbles balance wonderfully with the tender texture of lobster. Look no further than my lobster and champagne pairing suggestions post for advice and recommendations.
Have a brilliant February 14th no matter how you spend it. And let me know if you spend it with lobster!