|Photo via the Tasting Table Website.|
On June 5th 2014, Tasting Table will host its 5th annual Lobster Roll Rumble in NYC. This year’s lobster roll competition will see 23 eateries battle it out for the title of best lobster roll as voted by the fans (‘Fan Favorite’ title) and the editors (‘Editor’s Favorite’ title).
Given the Lobster Roll Rumble competition is based in NYC, it is unsurprising that most of the entrants are NYC-based. This year, three Maine eateries have entered the competition – The Clam Shack from Kennebunk, Eventide Oyster Co. from Portland and Robert’s Maine Grill, from Kittery Maine (Robert’s is a new entrant this year).
For the past two years, The Clam Shack, has scooped the top prize. The 2010 and 2011 winner was Luke’s Lobster, who are based in NYC, DC and Phili but source their lobsters directly from Maine. Luke’s catered one of my book signings in DC and their lobster rolls are divine.
Below is a full list of this year’s contestants, broken down by location as well as the recipes for some of the lobster rolls.
2014 Lobster Roll Rumble Contestants
– The Clam Shack (2012/2013 defending champs)
– Robert’s Maine Grill
– Eventide Oyster Co.
– B and G Oysters Lobster roll recipe below.
NYC and Greater New York
– Luke’s Lobster (locations in DC and Philadelphia as well). Luke’s lobster roll recipe below.
– North Fork Food Truck
– Grey Lady
– Greenpoint Fish and Lobster
– Gosman’s Dock Restaurant
– The Clam
– Cull and Pistol
– Red Hook Lobster Pound
– The Mermaid Inn
– Lure Fishbar
– Ditch Plains Lobster roll recipe below.
– Cousins Maine Lobster
– Old Port Lobster Shack
Lobster Roll Recipes
Luke’s Lobster Roll Recipe (as per the Today Show). Luke’s roll is as simple as it is delicious.
- 1/4 pound fresh Maine lobster meat
- Spoonful of mayonnaise
- Drizzle of butter, melted
- New England-style hot dog bun
- Pinch of celery salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Pinch oregano
- 2 pounds of lobster meat, approximately three to four lobsters
- 3/4 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoons roasted garlic
- 1 tablespoons tarragon, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery fine dice
- 1/3 cup scallions sliced
- 1 teaspoons old bay seasoning
- Lemon, halved
- 1 onion, halved
- 3 ribs of celery, rough chopped
- 2 cups of white wine
- Black pepper
- 4 lobsters, each about 1 1/4 pounds
- 1 cup lemon aioli or 1 cup mayonnaise mixed with 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup peeled, very finely chopped celery
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 top-split hot dog rolls
- 4 tablespoons or a 1/2 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
To read more about The Clam Shack, click here. If you want to read more of my musings on lobster rolls, click here.
Leave a Reply