This week I have been on the hunt for lobster recipes which would be fun to serve as part of a Thanksgiving feast. The below pumpkin lobster mac and cheese recipe, from Life Tastes Good, is simple, savory and one of the few recipes I have found which combines pumpkin and lobster. While the recipe may seem a little out there for some, the ingredients used are excellent compliments to lobster. I have made a few modifications to the original Life Tastes Good recipe – adding a dash of nutmeg and removing the peas (peas are great with lobster but I’d serve them as a side dish – more elegant).
Pumpkin Lobster Mac and Cheese
- 1 (16 ounce) package uncooked spiral pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot (or onion)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (8 ounce) container mascarpone cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pinch garlic powder, to taste
- 1 pinch paprika, to taste
- 1 pinch nutmeg, to taste
- 3-4 dashes Sriracha or other hot sauce, to taste
- 1 lb cooked lobster tail meat, chopped
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs (optional)
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan Cheese (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted (optional)
- Cook pasta as directed. Drain and set aside.
- If you like a baked mac and cheese preheat oven to 375 degrees F. and grease a 9×13″ casserole dish.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a skillet and cook shallot until lightly browned.
- Whisk 1 tablespoon flour into butter and shallot to form a paste
- Slowly whisk 12 ounce can of evaporated milk into flour mixture and simmer until thickened.
- Add 8 ounce package of shredded cheddar cheese and 8 ounce container of mascarpone cheese and stir until melted into sauce.
- Stir in 1 cup of pumpkin puree, a pinch of garlic powder, a pinch of paprika, a pinch of nutmeg and 3-4 dashes of Sriracha into the sauce. Be sure to taste after each addition and add more if needed.
- Gently mix in 1 lb lobster meat and the cooked pasta and cook until heated through. If you like a creamy mac and cheese you can eat it just like this right off the stove-top.
- For baked mac and cheese, transfer pasta mixture into prepared casserole dish and top with 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs, 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, and 2 tablespoons melted butter. Bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes until top is slightly browned.
For more ideas on how to serve lobster as part of your Thanksgiving feast, click here.
Leave a Reply