What wine goes best with lobster
Chardonnay, with its delicious vanilla notes, is an excellent choice to serve with lobster. Chardonnay has been the wine of choice to pair with lobster dishes at many significant White House dinners. For example:
– The 2001 Inauguration luncheon featured lobster pie in a bechamel sauce with a puff pastry crust. This dish was served with a ’98 Sonoma Cutrer Les Pierres Chardonnay.
– The 2011 Obama State Dinner in honor of President Hu Jintao featured poached Maine Lobster, which was paired with a 2008 Russian River Chardonnay.
– The 2011 Obama State Dinner for Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth included Lobster Ravioli which was served with Kistler Hudson Vineyard Chardonnay (2006).
The Cave Man Blog, which offers excellent guidance on pairing wines with lobster, recommends serving boiled lobster (dipped in butter, of course) with an unoaked Chardonnay or a Viognier and grilled lobster with an oaked Chardonnay. The blog specifically recommends the following wines:
– Vinde pays d’oc 2005, Viognier
– Chardonnay 2004, Diamond Collection, Francis Coppola
– Chardonnay 2004, Alamos Ridge Argentine
– Sicilia 2004, Chardonnay, Planeta
Beyond Chardonnay, white Burgundy is a great match for lobster, especially cream-based lobster dishes. Dry crisp white wines can also go well with lobster. Sauvignon Blanc in particular is often served with lobster dishes. For example:
– Obama’s 2009 Inauguration Lunch featured a seafood stew with Maine lobster which was paired with a Duckhorn Vineyards 2007 Sauvignon Blanc.
– At the 2005 Inauguration Lunch, scalloped crab and lobster was served for the first course. A Windsor Vineyards 2004 Sauvignon Blanc complimented the dish.
The Cave Man Blog recommends serving Sauvignon Blanc with a chilled lobster salad.
Finally, the 2013 Inauguration Lunch, which features steamed Maine lobster tail with New England clam chowder sauce, is being served with a Tierce Finger Lakes Dry Riesling (2010).
And let’s not forget about champagne! In another post, I have written about which champagnes go best with lobster. To summarise:
– Blanc de Blanc champagne tends to go well with cream and spice-perfumed dishes, such as lobster newburg, lobster ravioli and lobster fettuccine alfredo.
– Rose champagne is great for a lobster bake (also known as a clam bake) or summer BBQ.
– Non Vintage champagnes go well with nutty and cheesy lobster dishes such as lobster macaroni and cheese or a lobster grilled cheese sandwich.
For my latest article on pairing wine with lobster, click here.
Happy eating and drinking!
Corey Glenn saysApril 26, 2013 at 1:15 pm
I grew up seeing my parents, aunts and uncles, even my grandparents drinking Chardonnay during family gatherings. And as a child, I was wondering why they seemed to only drink this specific type of wine. I failed to connect the wine and our family's love for lobsters. When I got older, I realized that the two compliments each other best, and so the mystery was solved. Haha! It's nice to read posts like this where people take note of the sophistication that food and wine pairings bring. Cheers!